Start to finish: 35 minutes
Key Ingredients Needed
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium-size yellow onion, diced
- 5 teaspoons minced garlic, divided
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 pound uncooked spaghetti Italian parsley, chopped (garnish) Parmesan cheese, grated (garnish)
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 375°.
Step 2: Bring a stockpot of salted water to a boil.
Step 3: To make the marinara, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high.
Step 4: Add the onion, and cook until softened and translucent, about 8 minutes.
Step 5: Add 3 teaspoons garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Step 6: Stir in the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, and 3 tablespoons basil, and season with salt and pepper.
Step 7: Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 8: Remove from heat and cover to keep warm.
Step 9: While the marinara simmers, make the meatballs.
Step 10: In a large bowl, mix together the turkey, ricotta, egg, breadcrumbs, 2 teaspoons kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and remaining garlic and basil until well combined.
Step 11: Shape the mixture into about 12 evenly sized meatballs, about 2 inches each in diameter.
Step 12: Warm the remaining olive oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
Step 13: Add the meatballs, and brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes.
Step 14: Transfer the skillet to the preheated oven, and bake until cooked through about 6 minutes.
Step 15: While the meatballs cook, boil the spaghetti until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain well in a colander.
Step 16: Divide spaghetti among 4 bowls and ladle the marinara sauce on top.
Step 17: Top with meatballs, and garnish with parsley and Parmesan.