Super quick and easy to make Peppermint Meringue Cookie dipped in chocolate and sprinkled with crushed candy canes.
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 1 Hour
- Addtional time: 2 Hour
- Total time: 3 Hours 20 Minutes
Key Ingredients Needed
- 3 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 cup superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- pinch of salt
- red food coloring
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips or melting wafers
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F.
Step 2: Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Step 3: Place egg whites and salt in the stand mixer and mix at medium speed until frothy.
Step 4: Add cream of tartar and mix at medium high speed.
Step 5: Beat in sugar, 1 tbsp at a time. Tip: this step is very important, do not add all the sugar at one time, add it in slowly.
Step 6: Add in peppermint extract and mix. The meringue will start to become stiff with peaks. To check if it is ready, roll a pinch of the meringue mixture between your thumb and finger and feel for any gritty sugar. If there is any present, continue to beat the meringue until it is gone and stiff peaks form.
Step 7: Add several drops of red food coloring until you reach the desired peppermint-like color.
Step 8: Prep a large piping bag by snipping the end and inserting a large star tip. Fold the pastry bag over and place inside of a glass or jar. Fill the bag with the pink meringue.
Note: I like to use a 1M piping tip to get the best shape.
Step 9: Squeeze out any air bubbles and twist the top of the bag.
Step 10: Hold the pastry bag straight up and down on the pastry sheet, pipe out about 2 Tbsp of meringue, gently pulling away when you have reached your desired height and size.
Step 11: Bake for 1 hour and let stand as the oven cools to dry 2 hours or over night. Alternatively you can move the festive cookies to wire racks to cool.
Step 12: For decorating melt the chocolate in a double boiler or microwave. Dip each meringue half way into the chocolate and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Step 13: Finally, sprinkle crushed candy cane onto each cookie.
Step 14: Place the peppermint flavor meringues into the fridge to allow the chocolate to completley harden before serving.
- Meringues don’t spread however, you don’t want to place them too close as they need proper air flow during baking and dry time.
- These will keep for a few days and are pretty good frozen. Store them in a non humid area as they will absorb the moisture and be less crisp…but still a delicious treat!
- Store these sweet treats in a large freezer bag or airtight container for a week or in the freezer for up to three months.
- Yield: 24
- Serving size: 1
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 59kcal
- Total Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Uusaturated Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 19mg
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 10g
- Protein: 1g
* All nutritional information provided is approximate/estimated and can vary depending on several factors such as the exact ingredients you use, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
* Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.