Mini gingerbread men cookies are easy and fun to bake, making a basic gingerbread cookie dough that could be used to make different holiday cut-out cookies, including a small gingerbread house and gingerbread sandwich cookies.
- Total time: 45 Minutes
Key Ingredients Needed
- 1 1/2 cup + 1 1/2 tablespoons (200 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, leavening agent helping cookies rise.
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3.5 oz. (100 g) unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup (110 g) granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 3 teaspoons liquid honey
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: To make the cookie dough, mix flour, baking soda, and all the spices in a mixing bowl.
Step 2: In a separate large bowl, beat butter with sugar with an electric mixer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
Step 3: Add the egg and warm liquid honey (warm it in the microwave for a few seconds) and whisk with a mixer.
Step 4: Pour the dry ingredients into the principal preparation and mix with a rubber spatula.
Step 5: Transfer the dough to a working surface lined with plastic wrap, cover it well with plastic, and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Step 6: Preheat oven to 355 degrees F/180 degrees C. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
Step 7: Using a rolling pin, roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper to 5/32″/4 mm thick.
Step 8: Dip a mini gingerbread man cookie cutter (from mini cookie cutters set) into flour, cut out shapes.
Step 9: Peel off excess cookie dough from around the miniature gingerbread men.
Step 10: Use a cookie spatula or a palette knife to carefully lift the cookies without ruining their shapes and place them on the prepared baking sheet.
Step 11: Collect the dough scraps, re-roll them, and cut more cookies until you have used up all the dough.
Step 12: Then, bring the cookie shapes to the freezer for a few minutes to transfer them to the baking sheet.
Step 13: Bake for 5 to 7 minutes. Watch out for the mini cookies during baking: they can burn out quickly.
Step 14: Take them from the oven and let them cool on a wire rack.
Store: Store your miniature gingerbread man cookies between layers of parchment paper in an airtight container in a dry place for up to 1 week.
Freeze: You can freeze undecorated cookies in a Ziploc freezer bag for up to 3 months. To thaw, let them stay at room temperature.
- Make-ahead option: make the cookie dough and chill it overnight, then bake the cookies the next day. You can refrigerate the dough well wrapped for up to 5 days.
- If the cookie dough becomes soft and sticky during the roll/cutting process, just stop and refrigerate it for a few minutes to make it easier to work with. Make sure to cover the dough with plastic wrap or cookie shapes with parchment paper.
- If you want a softer cookies, roll the dough out as mentioned. For a crispy cookies, roll the cookies dough thinner, but adjust the baking time. It maybe less than 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add a few seconds to the baking time for the deeper golden color of cookies. Don’t burn the cookies!
- Bake one tray at a time for the best baking results. While you bake it, you fill another baking sheet with cookies.
- Yield: 50
- Serving size: 1
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 40kcal
- Sugar: 2.6 g
- Sodium: 40 mg
- Fat: 1.8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 5.7 g
- Fiber: 0.2 g
- Protein: 0.6 g
- Cholesterol: 8 mg
* All nutritional information provided is approximate/estimated and can vary depending on several factors such as the exact ingredients you use, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
* Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.