Tender and tasty chickpeas are mixed with pickled beets, lemon zest, garlic, tahini, and more for a pickled beet appetizer you will love for any occasion.
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 0 Minute
- Total time: 10 Minutes
- Citrus Zester
- Herb Scissors
- Offset Spatula
- Food Processor
Key Ingredients Needed
- 1 (24 ounce) jar Paisley Farm Pickled Beets, drained
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, drain the juices before adding them to the food processor. If you are using dried chickpeas, then you will need 1/2 cup of dried garbanzo beans cooked in water until tender.
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (+ more for garnish if desired)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, + 1 teaspoon for garnish
- Garnish: Fresh parsley, fresh ground pepper and toasted sesame seeds for garnishing, if desired
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: In a food processor, pulse chickpeas with tahini for a couple of minutes. Add in lemon zest, garlic, salt, and olive oil. Puree until smooth.
Step 2: Blend in pickled beets into the hummus.
Note: When you drain the beets save a little of the juice to thin out the hummus if you want to change the consistency of it while it’s in the food processor.
Step 3: Spread into a bowl and pour a teaspoon of olive oil over the top.
Step 4: If desired, garnish with fresh parsley, more lemon zest, freshly cracked black pepper and toasted sesame seeds.
Step 5: Serve with pita chips, naan bread, cucumbers or carrots.
- When you drain the beets save a little of the juice to thin out the hummus if you want to change the consistency of it while it’s in the food processor.
- Store the leftover hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days. Remove the hummus from the refrigerator and stir before serving.
- Prepare this pickled beet hummus ahead of time making the hummus and storing it in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Add some heat to this hummus by sprinkling some red chile flakes or cayenne pepper atop it.
- Top the hummus with crumbled feta or goat cheese if you would like.
- Yield: 8 as an Appetizer
- Serving size: 1
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 129kcal
- Total Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 1g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 6g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 179mg
- Carbohydrates: 13g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 4g
* All nutritional information provided is approximate/estimated and can vary depending on several factors such as the exact ingredients you use, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
* Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.