Delectable cheese and bacon stuffed chicken cooked in the air fryer which suitable for keto, low carb, gluten-free diets.
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 25 Minutes
- Total time: 35 Minutes
Key Ingredients Needed
- 4 ounces (113g) cream cheese room temperature
- 1 cup (113g) mozzarella cheese freshly shredded
- 1/2 cup (115g) bacon cooked and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 cup (50g) green onions sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- 24 ounces (696g) boneless skinless chicken breasts approximately 6 ounces (174g) each in size
- 6 slices bacon 2 of them cut in half
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Prep ahead: Season the chicken and stuff with the filling up to 24 hours in advance before baking. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature for 30 minutes before baking.
Step 1: Preheat air fryer to 375F / 190C.
Step 2: In a large bowl, combine cream cheese, mozzarella, chopped bacon, garlic, and green onions.
Step 3: In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, and Italian herbs. Set aside.
Step 4: Using a sharp knife, cut slits into each chicken breast to create a pocket. Be careful not to cut all the way through.
Step 5: Season the inside and outside of each chicken breast with the dry seasoning mixture.
Step 6: Scoop a quarter of the cream cheese mixture and “stuff” into the pocket of each chicken breast. Use toothpicks to keep them closed.
Step 7: Wrap each chicken breast with 1 1/2 strips of bacon. Secure the bacon with a toothpick.
Step 8: Lightly spray the air fryer basket with oil, then place the wrapped chicken into the basket. Make sure there is space between them (you may need to cook in batches).
Step 9: Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 165F / 94C.
Step 10: Remove from air fryer and allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Note: Always check for doneness using a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should be at least 165F / 74C when the thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
Store: This bacon wrapped chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Prepare the chicken and stuff with the filling before freezing. Wrap each chicken breast separately and freeze in an air-tight bag. To prepare, thaw the chicken overnight in the fridge. Bring the chicken to room temperature before baking as directed.
- Use paper towels to dry your chicken breast well before seasoning and searing.
- Air fryer temperatures can vary depending on the make and model, so it is important to check your food for doneness. The cooking times listed should be used as a guide and adjusted as needed.
- Thicker chicken breasts may need to cook longer.
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature before mixing.
- Cook and crumble some bacon for the filling. Leave some bacon raw to wrap around the outside of the chicken.
- Easily double this recipe for a large family or for serving guests.
- Use plenty of toothpicks to seal the chicken and prevent the filling from oozing out during cooking.
- Secure the bacon around the chicken breast with a toothpick if necessary.
- If you want extra crispy bacon, you can partially cook the bacon slices before wrapping them around the chicken.
- Remove the toothpicks before serving.
- Cook until an instant thermometer reads 165F / 74C when inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
- Storage – keep leftovers in an airtight container inside the fridge for 3 days.
- Serving size: 4
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 643kcal
- Carbohydrates: 4g
- Protein: 52g
- Fat: 45g
- Saturated Fat: 18g
- Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated Fat: 16g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 203mg
- Sodium: 1171mg
- Potassium: 861mg
- Fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 2g
- Vitamin A: 775IU
- Vitamin C: 5mg
- Calcium: 198mg
- Iron: 1mg
* All nutritional information provided is approximate/estimated and can vary depending on several factors such as the exact ingredients you use, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
* Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.