Classic savory bake in the UK which is quick, simple to make, and easily customized with different flavors.
- Prep time: 20 Minutes
- Cook time: 25 Minutes
- Total time: 45 Minutes
Key Ingredients Needed
- 140g box sage and onion stuffing mix (I used garlic, sage and onion) (optional)
- 500g pack chilled puff pastry, or two boxes ready rolled puff pastry
- 450g pack sausages, skinned or a packet of sausagemeat (if using sausagemeat instead of sausages, I season it with salt, freshly ground black pepper and finely chopped herbs as sausagemeat can be pretty bland)
- 1 beaten egg
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: Make the stuffing mix according to packet instructions and allow to cool down a little. Preheat the oven to 200C/180Fan/400F.
Step 2: Dust a work surface with a little flour. Roll out the pastry to a large rectangle and cut in half down the middle. You need the pastry to be the roughly the same thickness as a one pound coin.
Step 3: Divide the sausagemeat in a long line down the middle of the two pieces of pastry. Top the meat with a line of the prepared cooled stuffing.
Step 4: Using a pastry brush, brush one of the long sides of the pastry with a little beaten egg, Fold the other side of the pastry over the sausagemeat, pressing down lightly the seal the edges together. Using a fork, crimp the edges of the pastry.
Step 5: Using a sharp knife, cut the pastry lengths into 8 pieces each to make 16 sausage rolls. Place them on a couple of lined baking sheets.**SEE NOTES FOR FREEZING INSTRUCTIONS**
Step 6: Using a sharp knife, make two small cuts in the top of the pastry. Brush the tops with beaten egg and bake for about 25 minutes, or until very hot and the pastry is golden and crisp.
- The unbaked sausage rolls can be frozen. Place in freezer bags or an airtight freezer safe tupperware box and freeze for up to three months. Bake from frozen at 200C for 30-35 minutes, or until very hot and the pastry is golden and crisp.
- To reheat, sprinkle the tops with a tiny amount of water and bake at 180C/160Fan for about 20 minutes or until very hot.
- If you would rather make plain sausage rolls, simply omit the stuffing from the recipe.
- Spread a thin line of the cranberry sauce down the middle of the rolled out pastry and place the sausagemeat on top. I find you don’t need much more than 1-2 tablespoons – if you add any more, the sauce can ooze out and burn a little while baking.
- I just add one tablespoon of mustard. I love the flavour of Dijon honey mustard – it’s addictive!
- Spread 1-2 tablespoons of the grated cheddar cheese and onion chutney down the middle of the rolled out pastry and srinkle with the grated cheese. Top with the sausagemeat and bake as per instructions above.
- Yield: Makes up to 16 sausage rolls
- Serving size: 1
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 318kcal
- Total Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 16g
- Cholesterol: 29mg
- Sodium: 352mg
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 1g
- Protein: 7g
* All nutritional information provided is approximate/estimated and can vary depending on several factors such as the exact ingredients you use, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
* Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.