Easy Homemade Chocolate Cake Mix in a jar are always so much better than boxed or store-bought cakes.
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 25 Minutes
- Total time: 35 Minutes
- Measuring Cups and Spoons
- Mixing Bowls
- Mason Jars for Storing
- 9×13 inch Cake Pan or Cupcake Pan
- Cupcake Liners if making Cupcakes
- Cooling Racks
Key Ingredients Needed
Jar Ingredients for mix
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour. If you using cake flour instead of all-purpose flour, you will need to adjust your measurements and add a bit of cornstarch. One cup of all-purpose flour, minus 2 Tablespoons and then add in 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch and you have “cake flour” or something similar to it.
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder. Hershey’s cocoa is a popular one.
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch salt. Iodized table salt is normally used in cake mixes, but you can use sea salt or kosher salt as well.
Wet ingredients for cake
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup Milk
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: Mix all dry ingredients together and pour into Mason Jars for storage. Alternatively, you can layer the dry ingredients in your jar to products pretty layered jars for gifts.
Step 2: Mix the egg, vanilla and oil together in a mixing bowl with the cake mix.
Step 3: Add in the milk and combine until a nice batter starts to form.
Step 4: Pour cake batter into cake pan or lined cupcake pans.
Step 5: Bake in the oven for 20 mintues if making cupcakes and 25 minutes if making a cake.
Step 6: Use toothpicks to insert into center of cake or cupcakes to ensure that they are done baking.
Step 7: Make sure the toothpicks come out clean, otherwise add a few more minutes to the bake time.
Step 8: Cool on cooling rack if necessary.
Step 9: You can safely store your cake mix in air tight Mason Jars or air tight containers. This helps keep the mix fresh for as long as possible. If stored properly and in a dark, dry, cool area, this mix is good for 6-12 months.
- Add a bit more cocoa powder. Or a handful of chocolate chips to the mix.
- Use Dutch-processed cocoa powder. Be sure to modify any other ingredients added, like butter.
- You can layer the cake ingredients in the jar to make a beautiful layered gift or you can whisk it all together so it’s ready to pour and mix.
- SERVING SIZE: 1 cake