Made with melted white chocolate, crushed candy cane, mint, and rice Chex cereal, Candy Cane Peppermint Puppy Chow is full of sweet and minty flavors, perfect for Christmas and the holidays.
- Prep time: 5 Minutes
- Additional time: 1 Hour
- Total time: 1 Hour 5 Minutes
- Kitchens Non-Stick Parchment Paper
- 13×18 Half Sheet Pan
- Rubber Spatulas
- Nonstick 1-Quart Saucepan with Lid
- Mixing Bowl, 4 Quart
- Freezer Bags Jumbo, 2 Gallons
Key Ingredients Needed
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex cereal. Use storebought Chex Mix or any type of store brand type of cereal that resembles Chex Mix. Crispix is another type of cereal that will work well for this recipe if you do not have access to different types of Chex cereals.
- 8 ounces good quality white chocolate. Feel free to use white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate candy bars. Just make sure you choose a good quality white chocolate.
- 1 cup crushed candy canes/peppermint candies. You can use leftover candy canes or your choice of peppermint candies for this recipe. If you happen to have a bunch of candy canes left over from the Christmas tree or holiday parties, then this recipe is perfect for them.
- 1 cup powdered sugar. Confectioner’s sugar is light and dusty sweet sugar that is the perfect addition to this snack mix. Sweet, light, and delicious, the powdered sugar adds just enough flavor to this recipe.
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: Add cereal to a large bowl. Set aside until ready to use.
Step 2: In a small saucepan over low heat, melt the white chocolate pieces or chips. Stir the white chocolate constantly until it is melted and smooth, taking care it does not burn. Remove the chocolate from heat once it has meilted.
Step 3: Pour the melted white chocolate over the Rice Chex cereal in the bowl, carefully stir to coat the cereal in melted white chocolate until mixed.
Step 4: Sprinkle the crushed candy canes over the top of the snack mix and stir to evenly coat the cereal in peppermint candy.
Step 5: Place the coated cereal in a large zippered (zip-lock) bag, or a container with a lid.
Step 6: Add in the powdered sugar to the mixture. Shake to coat in sugar.
Step 7: Spread the peppermint muddy buddies in a thin layer on a baking sheet covered in foil or parchment paper. Allow the mix to completely cool at room temperature.
Step 8: Store the puppy chow mix in an airtight container and enjoy it within two weeks.
- To melt chocolate in the microwave, add the white chocolate to a microwave safe bowl and heat on high in 20 second intervals, stirring until smooth.
- Instead of white chocolate, use your favorite dark or milk chocolate chips. In a pinch, you can use almond bark, too. I actually made it again, and didn’t have any white chocolate, I used vanilla almond bark and added a couple of drops of peppermint extract to it. It was yummy.
- Add popcorn or pretzels to the Rice Chex cereal for extra crunch and flavor.
- Add Christmas-colored M&Ms to the snack mix recipe before cooling on the baking sheet.
- Yield: 10
- Serving size: 1
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 303kcal
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Unsaturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 5mg
- Sodium: 128mg
- Carbohydrates: 58g
- Fiber: 0g
- Sugar: 40g
- Protein: 2g
* All nutritional information provided is approximate/estimated and can vary depending on several factors such as the exact ingredients you use, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
* Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.