Easy and comforting Broccoli Cheese Casserole recipe that uses chopped steamed broccoli as the base and it yields a sturdy portion that can stand and be eaten with a fork.
- Prep time: 10 Minutes
- Cook time: 40 Minutes
- Total time: 50 Minutes
- Mixing Bowls
- Sharp knife
- Cutting Board
- 12″ x 8″ Casserole dish
Key Ingredients Needed
- 10 oz steamed broccoli florets (about 3-4 cups)
- 1 10 oz can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Minute Rice
- 1 cup grated medium or sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons milk (or a generous splash, doesn’t have to be exact)
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de provence
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, more to taste
Instructions/Step By Step Directions
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350º F.
Step 2: Steam the broccoli as per the package’s directions, or, if steaming fresh broccoli, do so over the stovetop and set it aside when done. Steaming broccoli on the stove should only take about 8-10 minutes.
Step 3: While the broccoli is steaming, start making your rice mixture. Combine the rice, cream of mushrooms soup, egg, mayonnaise, grated cheese, milk, and a pinch of sea salt in a large mixing bowl. Fold/mix the ingredients with a large spoon or spatula until well combined.
Step 4: When the broccoli is done steaming, let it cool enough to be handled. Transfer it to a cutting board and roughly chop the broccoli into bite-sized bits; transfer the broccoli florets to the bottom of your casserole or baking dish to cover the bottom and form a base.
Step 5: Carefully pour the rice and cheese mixture over the broccoli and, using a spatula, evenly spread it out over the broccoli.
Step 6: Transfer the Italian bread crumbs to a small bowl and mix in the Herbes de Provence. Pour the melted butter into it and, using a fork, mix the melted butter into the bread crumbs until they’re golden and crumbly.
Step 7: Distribute the crumbly bread crumbs over the casserole evenly to create a crumb topping. Sprinkle a tiny bit of salt on top, then gently press down on the crumbs with the spatula.
Step 8: Pop the casserole into the oven and bake, uncovered, for about 40 minutes. When done, the breadcrumb topping should have a nice golden-baked hue.
Step 9: Remove the casserole from the oven and let it stand for 5-10 minutes before cutting in to serve.
- To steam fresh broccoli florets, place them in a steamer and set it over a saucepan of boiling water. Cover the broccoli and steam for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Other soups you can use in this dish, rather than cream of mushroom, include cream of chicken, cream of celery, cream of broccoli, or cheddar soup for an extra oomph of cheesiness.
- You can easily double this recipe if feeding a larger crowd, or if you simply want to bulk it up a bit.
- Use panko or finely crushed soda crackers instead of Italian breadcrumbs.
- Using a mix of broccoli and cauliflower is a delicious option for this casserole!
- I like to use medium-sharp cheddar in this recipe, but you could also use mozzarella or a blend of cheese, such as mozzarella, provolone, and parmesan.
- Yield: 6 servings
Amount Per Serving
- Calories: 226kcal
* All nutritional information provided is approximate/estimated and can vary depending on several factors such as the exact ingredients you use, so is not guaranteed to be accurate. Please see a registered dietician for special diet advice.
* Nutritional values were obtained with automatic software using the amounts of products used. To get the most accurate representation of the nutritional values, you should calculate them with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for the nutritional information obtained to be accurate.